It seems that everywhere you look you see someone with a tattoo. Did you know it is believed that tattoos of today originated over 6000 years ago? They started as an acupuncture type of healing treatment and over time evolved into the art form it is today.
Some facts about tattoos and their removal:
- People in the US spend about $1.6 billion annually on tattoos.
- The US has more than 20,000 tattoo parlors and that number grows daily.
- Miami has the most tattoo shops with about 24 for every 100,000 people, Kansas the least at 2 shops for every 100,000 people.
- New Zealanders are the most tattooed people in the world, mostly due to the island’s Maori who still get traditional Polynesian tattoos.
- 25% of Americans have tattoos and of that 40% are men and 60% are women.
- The wealthiest tattoo artist charges $1000 for the first hour and only works on weekends!
- Tattooing became legal in South Carolina in 2004 and Oklahoma in 2006. It is illegal in Iran, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates.
While more people are getting a tattoo, an estimated 23% of those who have one are having “tattoo regret” and many seek removal. A tattooed name that is no longer relevant is one of the most common reasons for laser tattoo removal. Other reasons include: job requirements that prohibit visible tattoos, the military, and “outgrowing” the tattoo.
The PicoSure laser continues to be the gold standard for laser tattoo removal, eradicating black ink and some of the more challenging greens and blues. The ultra short pulse width creates a photo mechanical effect on the ink shattering it into small particles sparing the skin from thermal damage created by other lasers. These particles are absorbed and broken down naturally by the body’s immune system. All of this results in less painful treatments than older lasers, reduced number of treatments and a faster recovery time.
Seattle Skin and Laser was the first clinic in the northwest to offer the PicoSure laser to our clients and with that comes the most experience using this type of laser. We have removed thousands of tattoos safely and have high client satisfaction.
If the time has come to say goodbye to your tattoo, call us to schedule a free consultation. We will review expectations for removal, how many treatment sessions you will likely need, and cost of treatments.
Joanie Poth, RN