Is the cold weather leaving you or family members with “winter itch?”
Dry, cold winter air and turning on your furnace, can sap the moisture from your skin leading to dryness, cracking and itching.
Here are a few tips to avoid winter itch as well as what to do if it occurs:
- Shower with warm water. Avoid hot showers, or at least cut your time in the shower in half.
- No fragrant soaps. Shower quickly using warm water and a mild soap. Do not use strong soaps that contain dyes, fragrances or alcohol.
- Oil-based products for re-hydration. After showering, when the skin is still moist, apply an oil-based product such as unrefined, organic coconut oil. This oil will lessen skin dryness by sealing in moisture. Coconut oil is a good choice because it is natural and contains saturated fats, fatty acids, vitamin E and proteins, which will provide you with smooth, healthy skin. Coconut oil also has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
- Cover up. Wear gloves when you go outdoors.
- A good, thick hand cream will save you from cracks. After washing your hands use a good hand cream. If you are in a profession that requires you to frequently wash your hands, a good hand cream is essential. My favorite is Epionce hand cream. It is absorbed quickly, non-greasy and infused with raspberry seed oil to help restore the skins natural barrier.
- Strengthen your face’s skin barrier. It is important that you use a daily facial moisturizer that does not clog your pores. My favorite is Epionce Facial Lotion for daytime use and Epionce Intensive Nourishing Cream, an ultra rich cream, for use at night. In addition to repairing and strengthening the skin barrier, they also have the added benefit of reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!
If your skin issues do not improve in a few weeks time, you may need to see a dermatologist to determine if the symptoms are the result of an underlying health problem.
February marks the 17th anniversary of Seattle Skin and Laser. We have grown from one office to three, and from a staff of four to our current 42! We are thankful for your support and confidence over the years. We will continue to provide you with excellence in healthcare.
To celebrate, we are offering specials on many treatments and products. Check out our dermatology homepage for an updated list of specials.
Joanie has been in the nursing profession for over 30 years. She has a wealth of experience across specialties including: medical and surgical nursing, emergency medicine, OBGYN and oral surgery. For the past 7 years Joanie has focused on dermatology; gaining significant expertise under the guidance of Dr. Lawlor. Joanie has weekly laser clinics focused on tattoo removal, laser hair reduction, photo facials, and miraDry for hyperhydrosis.