Date Published: July 11th, 2014
Acne is a skin condition that can cause clogged pores and can occur anywhere on the body at any age when hormones stimulate the production of oil in the body. Signs of acne could be black or white heads, deeper lumps, pustules and pimples. In some cases acne can clear up by itself without the need of treatment but it is always best to seek treatment by your dermatologist to reduce the chances of skin scarring. There are 4 different types of acne we regularly see at our clinic: Teenage Acne, Pre-pubertal Acne, Cystic Acne and Adult Acne
The harder you scrub your face the cleaner and less acne you will have.
- In reality, the harder you scrub you are most likely to irritate the skin and make it worse by causing more oil production. We recommend to limit washing to twice daily.
Eating greasy foods and chocolate can make acne worse.
- Most likely your acne is not caused by food but if you notice that certain foods do make it worse try to stay away from them..
Wearing make-up will make me break out.
- It is always best to wear little make-up to let your skin breathe but using oil-free, water-based moisturizers and make-up would help. Always try to remember that at the end of the day you should be removing any make-up before going to bed.
When you meet with your dermatologist you will find that there are multiple treatments for acne.
- Prescribed topical creams or gels
- Oral Antibiotics
- Birth Control Pills
- Acne Surgery
- Chemical Peels
- Laser treatments for acne scarring
Remember that acne is NOT curable but it is manageable. Please call us at 206.525.1168 to set up a visit with one of our providers. We’ve seen thousands of acne patients in both our Edmonds and Seattle clinics and can provide you with a plan to help you with your individual acne needs.